Films and Showtimes
- Moxie Mornings
- Pick of the Litter (2018)
- Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
- Free Solo
- On Stage: King Lear
- The Essentials: City Lights (1931)
- Member Picks: Holiday (1938)
- Beautiful Boy
- The Essentials: It Happened One Night (1934)
- Can You Ever Forgive Me?
- The Essentials: His Friday Girl (1940)
- Ghost World (2001)
- The Essentials: The Lady Eve (1941)
- The Essentials: Seven Year Itch (1955)
ON STAGE: L'Histoire de Manon
- Starring: Les Étoiles, Les Premiers Danseurs et le Corps de Ballet
- Choreographer: Kenneth Macmillan
- Conductor: Martin Yates
- Genre(s): Dance, Performance, Drama
- Rating: NR
- Filmed at Palais Garnier May 18, 2015
- Running Time: 155 min.
The Moxie: On Stage is a new series showcasing world class performances from stages across the globe.
Tickets: $20/adults; $15/members & students
This series is made possible thanks to a grant from the Springfield Regional Arts Council.
Inspired by L’Abbé Prévost’s legendary heroes, Kenneth MacMillan expresses his fascination for offbeat characters and dramatic subjects. The choreographer faithfully follows the novel’s plot and reconstructs the tragic story of the sensual yet naïve creature who is more victim than architect of her own fate.
In Regency Paris, bourgeois society gorges itself on luxury and easy pleasures. Carried off in this whirlwind, Manon is unable to resist temptation and she drags down the faithful Des Grieux with her in her fall. The choreographer constructs his ballet on a mosaic of extracts from Massenet finding in the music all the drama, freshness and romanticism necessary for this grand fresco in dance. The crowd and ball scenes follow on from spirited pas de deux right up to the ballet’s sublime yet tragic conclusion.