Films and Showtimes
- Of the Former & Pioneer
- Under the Gun (2016)
- The Royal Ballet presents The Nutcracker
- The Favourite
- Space Buddies (Local Film)
- Staff Picks: Perfect Blue (1997)
- Moxie Mornings
- On Stage: The Madness of George III
- Member Picks: Gilda (1946)
- Moxie Flix: The Big Bad Fox and Other Tales (2017)
- Staff Picks: Stranger Than Fiction (2006)
- The Essentials: Fish Tank (2009)
- The Essentials: Pariah (2011)
- The Essentials: Wendy and Lucy (2008)
- The Essentials: Marie Antoinette (2006)
The Punk Singer (Drury @ the Moxie)
- Starring: Carrie Brownstein, Joan Jett, Kathleen Hanna, Kim Gordon
- Director: Sini Anderson
- Genre(s): Documentary
- Rating: Not Rated
- Running Time: 80 mins.
Drury @ the Moxie: Great insights to great films courtesy of Drury’s Humanities faculty.
The Moxie and Drury University’s Humanities Department are sponsoring this program in partnership with the Missouri Humanities Council and with support from the National Endowment for the Humanities.
SUMMARY: Kathleen Hanna, lead singer of the punk band Bikini Kill and dance-punk trio Le Tigre, rose to national attention as the reluctant but never shy voice of the riot grrrl movement. She became one of the most famously outspoken feminist icons, a cultural lightning rod. Her critics wished she would just shut-up, and her fans hoped she never would. So in 2005, when Hanna stopped shouting, many wondered why. [IFC Films]
Dr. Teresa Hornsby and Dr. Ray Patton will lead a post show discussion.
"The Punk Singer is a perfect storm. It is a love letter to Kathleen Hanna, to feminism, and to the fans, but it’s also just a damn good movie."- Jenni Miller, Film.com
"The Punk Singer brings dimension and real shape to a band, era and scene that is often compartmentalized into one or two categories. That it'll get you wanting to start your own musical rebellion is a bonus."- Kevin Jagernauth, The Playlist
"The Punk Singer is a rewarding and positive experience. Anderson delivers a fascinating account of the grunge era and an influential story of a role model who has the guts and spunk to hopefully inspire a whole new generation of Riot Grrls and Boys."- Leigh Clark, CineVue