Films and Showtimes
- SATO 48 (2019)
- SATO48: THE COMEDIES
- SATO48: THE CREEPIES
- Amazing Grace
- Moxie Mornings
- The Essentials: Of Human Bondage (1934)
- The Secret Garden (1993)
- Videodrome (1983)
- High Life
- The Essentials: Jezebel (1938)
- The Essentials: Now, Voyager (1942)
- The Essentials: All About Eve (1950)
- Staff Picks: Zodiac (2007)
- Reservoir Dogs (1992) @ Mother's Brewery
- The Essentials: What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962)
- On Stage: All About Eve
- Staff Picks: The Last Picture Show (1971)
Marketa Lazarová (1967)
- Starring: Josef Kemr, Magda Vásáryová, Nada Hejna
- Director: Frantisek Vlácil
- Genre(s): Drama, History, Romance
- Language(s): Czech, German
- Rating: NR
- Running Time: 162 min.
This FREE film series is part of the “Magna Carta: Enduring Legacy 1215-2015” Exhibit on display at MSU’s Meyer Library from Oct. 12 - 23, 2015. For a complete listing of all events go to missouristate.edu/magnacarta. First come, first seated.
Dr. Kevin Henderson (Drury University) will be speaking about how the political and cultural conflicts of this Czech classic’s production era (1967) are reflected in its medieval setting.
Summary: A minor Czech clan falls afoul of the King in medieval times, against the backdrop of Christianity replacing Paganism.
This series is made possible thanks to the generous support of exhibit sponsors: The Law Firm of Neale & Newman, LLP; Lathrop & Gage, LLP; Strong-Garner-Bauer, PC; Kent and Jan Hyde; Lee and Julie Viorel; Mark L. McQueary.
"It's stark, daring and often astoundingly dynamic."- Nick Bradshaw, Time Out
"Episodic in structure, the film proceeds like a folk saga, but its flashbacks, flash-forwards, and abrupt cuts give it a hallucinatory quality."- Ted Shen, Chicago Reader
"A wide-screen black-and-white feast for the eyes."- J. Hoberman, Village Voice
"By now, this burly, seething musk ox of a movie, arguably the most convincing film about the Middle Ages ever made, should be on everyone's tongue."- Michael Atkinson, Village Voice