Films and Showtimes
- Of the Former & Pioneer
- Under the Gun (2016)
- The Royal Ballet presents The Nutcracker
- The Favourite
- Space Buddies (Local Film)
- Staff Picks: Perfect Blue (1997)
- Moxie Mornings
- On Stage: The Madness of George III
- Member Picks: Gilda (1946)
- Moxie Flix: The Big Bad Fox and Other Tales (2017)
- Staff Picks: Stranger Than Fiction (2006)
- The Essentials: Fish Tank (2009)
- The Essentials: Pariah (2011)
- The Essentials: Wendy and Lucy (2008)
- The Essentials: Marie Antoinette (2006)
Singing in the Rain @ Mother's Brewery
- Starring: Gene Kelly, Donald O'Connor, Debbie Reynolds
- Director: Stanley Donen, Gene Kelly
- Genre(s): Comedy, Musical, Romance
- Rating: G
- Running Time: 102 min.
We’re teaming up with Mother’s Brewing to screen “Singing in the Rain (1952)” in Mother’s Backyard! (215 South Grant Ave.) So bring your blankets and/or lawn chairs to ensure you are comfy during the movie. Better yet, bring your picnic fixins so you can dine outside while watching a great movie! You can’t bring booze, but don’t worry, Mother’s has you covered on that. They will have beer flowing outside so you don’t even have to go inside for a refill during the movie! This is a 21+ event. Tickets are $5 and on sale at the door. Try to bring cash!
Mother’s films will start at dusk, showtimes are tentative.
Singin’ in the Rain (1952) is one of the most-loved and celebrated film musicals of all time from MGM, before a mass exodus to filmed adaptations of Broadway plays emerged as a standard pattern. It was made directly for film, and was not a Broadway adaptation.
The joyous film, co-directed by Stanley Donen and acrobatic dancer-star-choreographer Gene Kelly, is a charming, up-beat, graceful and thoroughly enjoyable experience with great songs, lots of flashbacks, wonderful dances (including the spectacular Broadway Melody Ballet with leggy guest star Cyd Charisse), casting and story. [Filmsite.org]
Summary: A silent film production company and cast make a difficult transition to sound.
"There is no movie musical more fun than Singin' in the Rain, and few that remain as fresh over the years. "- Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times
"One of the shining glories of the American musical. "- David Kehr, The Chicago Reader
"Fifty years later, it's still a delight with everybody working at the top of his or her game. "- Jane Summer, Dallas Morning News
"If you've never seen it and don't, you're bonkers. "- Time Out New York